Making noise, not getting anywhere.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Munching pills in darkened rooms

Cognitive Daily � Video games: Are the myths true?

It's a contentious issue - do computer games add to behavioral problems or are they a mere symptom. Every time I hear someone claim that violence is caused by games, I just want to whip out the rocket launcher and splash their brains on the pixelated wall; luckily I always remember the number one lesson playing the Doom series games taught me: don't use a rocket launcher in a tight space. So I have to resort to reasoned arguments, like those presented by Dave Munger over at Cognitive Daily (link above). Doesn't that prove something?

Worth mentioning in that context is the fabulous quote/joke "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." That quote is usually misattributed by non-factchecking geeks to some Nintendo CEO named Kristian Wilson. In fact, it's been written by comedian Marcus Briggs, who is rightly proud of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home